Online Shopping MRFISHO

Gen 2 and 3 soundings

Fonc

Gen 2 and 3 soundings

Postby Fonc Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:17 pm

Took a day of work last week and installed the new sounder. After buying silicone and ss screws prob better of just getting it doneby a pro. Any way as you do read the instructions (thoroughly) after I finished realising I had a couple nuts and bolts left so had to pull the trans of and do it again!
I mounted the trans as per diagram and after reading some reviews on the net expected to be loosing bottom at speed. This is also noted in instruction diagram. Took the boat out loosing bottom above 7knots a lot slower than expected. So I've used the wedge they supply and now get about ten knots by tilting the trans facing slightly forward compared to hull. Angling forward can result in receiving less than full arch which is what I've noticed. More a tick often. Going by the diagram I could angle further forward but I wonder what type of arch I'll get if I do that so may go to step 2 and lower the trans 3 mm. I've also got interference from the other sounder which really gives me the shits as I have to run medium even high noise rejection atm. Once I've got it all sorted this won't be an issue as I will o my run the one sounder but still annoying as this is not meant to be the case when running dif frequencies. Anyway here's a stack of pics from the weekend. Image

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImage

Fonc

Re: Gen 2 and 3 soundings

Postby Fonc Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:25 pm

A few I was energetic enough to take photos of I prob spent 8 hours sounding playing with settings and was quite mind numbing especially driving back and forth over the same few fish for hours lol!
What I didn't do was run the new unit on the old trans which I should have done as that trans is perfect bottom readings at wot. The new unit if I bank left would improve at speed though which has me thinking maybe I should raise it slightly but then I'll need to drill new holes in the transom and I'd prefer not to.

TIM

Postby TIM Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:42 pm

Good soundings fonc. Its a pain dialing in the trany. I gave up in thr end. On mine if its glassed out iys perfect but get a little chop and I loose it. But hey im not sounding fish at that speed anyways.

TIM

Postby TIM Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:56 pm

And I will give you a tip fonc.
By the description of your tranny I assume your running a p66
When lowering it they have a habbit of unclipping like you have hit something. Its just the water pressure forcing it. I just put a screw in the side of the bracket to stop it.

Fonc

Postby Fonc Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:10 pm

Nah tm150m mate. I've got to get it going better than the old one or there was no point getting it! Once it's right it's all I'll use so I need it working 100% even if it take a few trips sorting it out.

AlphaPrime

Postby AlphaPrime Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:55 pm

could you make the holes sort of oval on the tranny with a dremal or something similar so you can adjust the sounder like that instead of drilling new holes in the boat?

Fonc

Postby Fonc Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:09 pm

The trans has a mounting bracket with 3 veriticle slots. They say the middle one is the stabiliser so you put that screw at the bottom of the slot so it stops water pressure pushing it up. Problem is the cabel is in the way so I used the outside holes to stableize it and the Middle one as my adjustment. I'll lower it first if no good I'll just raise it fill the holes and drill 2 new ones. It will all be hidden either way so doesn't really matter.

AlphaPrime

Postby AlphaPrime Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:17 pm

Cant believe there isn't such a thing as a auto/self leveling tranny... something you just bolt up and it finds the bottom and shoots straight down by itself.. it's gotta be on the drawing board by now

big cods

Postby big cods Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:10 am

You must of been keen to test her out, cruising round in the dark?

Fonc

Postby Fonc Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:19 pm

I was, couldn't sleep so took the boat out early. Ended up sleeping a whole tide at tyabb bank once the sun came up.
The problem alpha is water hitting the leading edge of the trans and causing bubbles to run across the face so they say to tilt the face further forward so the water/bubbles don't run across the face. Something like that anyway.

Return to “Sounding Help / Setup”