Online Shopping MRFISHO

squid on the troll

Discussions on anything Egi , Squid Fishing

Moderator: mrfisho

Flathead77

squid on the troll

Postby Flathead77 Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:41 pm

Have pick up a few squid on trolled 150mm 7m Halco s whilst targeting other things. Have been on the large side too. Also have hooked some rather big cutties ,all cutties put back, there to cool to keep . Anyone else getting squid a bit differently?

GO THE MIGHTY HAWKS
skifalls
Fisho
Fisho

Re: squid on the troll

Postby skifalls Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:10 pm

Have pick up a few squid on trolled 150mm 7m Halco s whilst targeting other things. Have been on the large side too. Also have hooked some rather big cutties ,all cutties put back, there to cool to keep . Anyone else getting squid a bit differently?
Handy tip, how many knots have you found to be ideal mate?

Cheers Mat

cheaterparts

Postby cheaterparts Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:59 pm

Handy tip, how many knots have you found to be ideal mate?

Cheers Mat
Pretty common really quite a few of my kayaking mates troll and pick them up - they take anything they can see and catch - I've found Rapala Taildancers in bleading olive work quite well around coronet bay
Probably look like a grass whiting swimming along the weed - fishane pulled a 43 cm hook squid on berkley frenzy deep diver @ Balnaring friday night in 4 - 5 meters of water

fishane

Postby fishane Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am

Like Cheater said I had a nice one grab my hard body in the dark on Friday that was fun to land with just a single hook in its candle.

I catch a lot of squid on the kayak and nearly 100% of them are trolling. I usually slowly pedal over weed in 2-4m of water, alternately jerking a 3.5 jig forward on each side and then letting it sink back. The squid hit it as its sinking and then you strike on the next forward jerk. The nice thing with this technique is you don't need wind to drift.

Flathead77

Postby Flathead77 Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:43 pm

G,day mat, like the other lads have said a slow troll has done it for me around 3-4 knots (am in my tinny) as I'm still targeting other fish .Halco s work well at slower speeds as do the Rapala's as cheater has said .Most of the ones I have got have come in 8-9m over reef as I said am after things that eat the squid Cheers

GO THE MIGHTY HAWKS
Flathead77

Postby Flathead77 Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:46 pm

Fishane, that's a good size cala well done

GO THE MIGHTY HAWKS
fishane

Postby fishane Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:57 pm

Flathead77

Postby Flathead77 Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:25 am

Great Pic, do you get down to flinders much in your yak targeting squid fishane ?

GO THE MIGHTY HAWKS
fishane

Postby fishane Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:38 am

Great Pic, do you get down to flinders much in your yak targeting squid fishane ?
I've been down to Flinders a couple of times in the last month. However I find Flinders unlucky for me for squid. I pick up a few but not very big size or numbers. The weed down there is also a killer for jigs and the deeper weed beds don't work as well for my style of trolling. I prefer areas like Quail or Tyabb banks, Coronet Bay/Reef Island or around Ventnor for squid.

Flathead77

Postby Flathead77 Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:53 pm

Yeah Flinders can be difficult at times, but can hold some stonking squid .Tyabb bank is a great producer plus it's good ground for other fish ,whitting gars gummies reds . Also just got back from Japan , wow, should see some of the squid rods reels and gear they have. It's huge over there. So much gear so little luggage allowance :( Cheers Mick

GO THE MIGHTY HAWKS

Return to “Egi/Squid Discussions”