Online Shopping MRFISHO

Portland Off Shore Kayak Comp 28/1/17

Reports from the rest of Victoria that do not fit anywhere else.
cheaterparts

Portland Off Shore Kayak Comp 28/1/17

Postby cheaterparts Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:14 am

Well the North shore Challenge has been run over the Australia day W/E and what a top W/E this was for the first off shore comp for kayaks held for us here in Victoria ( there are off shore comps in the northern states ) - the main target species were Kingfish and Tuna but snapper , Gummies and salmon could also be entered at a lower points rate

I headed up on Thursday to find Tas ( a team member ) had droped a blue fin after a 40 min fight and them Keiran another member of of Mud Brothers team had pulled a 115 cm bluefin

Friday quite a few of us got out for a prefish just short of the ship anchorage one of my trolled rods buckled back and I heard drag going - the excitement dropped pretty soon no fight just a 75 cm Snook --- Tas hooked up and landed a BF around the size as keirans from the day before

that was the only BF from any of the kayakers on Friday however we saw sh!t load on the surface just sunning them selfs out on Julia reef - for those that dont know the area thats about 14 km off the beach from Henty Bay Caravan Park launch --- I know it was a lot of paddle strokes

it seams Shane also pulled a BF I didn't see it but no doubt he did - my day one tally was 31 Km on the paddle others did more

Saturday Comp day 35 kayaks heading in all directions - myself I woke with a headache that seamed to get worse as I headed out - the wind was up a bit I'm guessind a good 10 kts and a front seamed to be building over the head land - the forecast was still safe but not feeling the best I headed in for some panadol and fish on the inner reef for bugger all ---- back out on Julia Gab from South Oz was on and pulled a nice fish around that same 18 -19 kg

the hard luck story goes to Jordo who hooked up and a well over hour fight in which he was towed 5 km at speeds up to 5 kph at times landed the fish and them found he had only an hour to go with 12 or so km to get back -- he paddled flat our for an hour 40 min to collapse on the beach and be to late to enter his fish -- shane also was late back with the biggest fish for the W/E around 22 - 23 kg

so Gab won with the only BF in on time -- no King fish entered and the teams event was won by "all show and no Go" who had a quite a few small but legal pinkies between them

Sunday Mal and Myself searched the inner reefs for signs of a King but it was a wasted paddle , while back out on Julia reef Gab hooked up and was smoked - 60 - 70 meters on line like no tomorrow and then busted off a while later hookup and 40 min to see it drop the hook at the kayak and on the way in cast a plastic into a bust up between the ships in the anchorage only to bust off again

it must be said Eoin and his Wife from Sea Sherpa did a great job on this event , it was well organised and some great prises were on offer - the 2018 event is now being planed for the Aust day W/E again next year withmost looking to do the event again

I'm sure everyone learnt a bit more on chasing these pelargic fish which is damm hard work by kayak

I need to work on my fitness if I'll going to back up 30 km + days for a few days in a row although my new stealth 525 did make easier work of the miles than my old Prowler ultra 4.3 would have - it's nice using something designed for longer distances off shore

and here's the wrap up from Sea Sherpa our local stealth agent and organiser of the even

seasherpa.com.au/2017/01/30/nsc17-the-wrap-up/

and some pics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQuKI2SYwGg

and Jordos clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF4t_JF9Xgc

Kayaking off shore in Vic is not for the faint hearted it's damm hard hard work - looking forward to heading north to Coffs Harbour for the next Off Shore Comp run by the Steath Kayak Importer in May -- -- Reefs and Fish are closer in up north but being a 2 day comp it should be good

mrfisho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Portland Off Shore Kayak Comp 28/1/17

Postby mrfisho Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:04 pm

I just picked up two Fishing Kayaks but what your talking about is crazy kayaking :)

Cheers
Mick

cheaterparts

Re: Portland Off Shore Kayak Comp 28/1/17

Postby cheaterparts Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:52 pm

not crazy Mick just the next challenge -

it's harder work than fishing the bays and a few new skills need to be picked up , I also upgraded my kayak for something better off shore
a Stealth profisha 525 -- quite a weapon for covering distance , good through the surf if surf launches are needed and surprisingly light for a 5.25 meter long craft at 25 Kg

http://kayakfishingsa.co.za/product/ste ... ing-kayak/

Return to “Victoria Wide”