Hobie kayak

Boat and Bits Wanted
Motors, Parts and Boats-
Please See Trading Room Rules Before Posting

Moderator: mrfisho

wagyu04

Hobie kayak

Postby wagyu04 Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:30 am

Hey all, haven't been on here for awhile, I'm looking at buying a Hobie kayak to fish with, only guys on here got any comments about them? Thanks Gerard

Choppers

Re: Hobie kayak

Postby Choppers Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:12 am

Mate, search for a forum called vyak. Join up and post the same as here, ul get plenty of advise.
Hope admin doesn't mind.

fishane

Postby fishane Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:12 am

Like Choppers said, VYAK is a huge resource on Hobies so you will find hundreds of posts on the various models etc. However a few general tips.

Hobie make mirage drive (pedal) yaks and paddle yaks. For fishing it's generally all mirage drive pedal yaks.

The most popular model is the Outback, its 12ft long and wide so very stable with reasonable room while being easy to transport and move about but not overly quick on the water. The Revolution is similar to the outback but slimmer profile, slightly longer at 13ft, a bit less roomy but faster on the water. The biggest of the mirage yaks is the Pro Angler, its 14ft long very wide and almost a boat in size. They're not quite as quick harder to transport and move on land but extremely roomy and you can stand up to fish. There's also the Adventure or Revo16 that's a longer version of the 13ft revo, the Sport (a shorter Outback) and the Adventure Island catamaran with sail (which is a whole other level).

The choice depends on the type of fishing you want to do, your size, how you want to transport and store it. Do your research then organise a test pedal at either Scott Lovig Hobie in Mornington or Action Kayaks in Geelong, depending on where you're located. You can buy new from one of these dealer, get ex-demo or there are usually a few available second hand although they do hold their value a bit.

All the best deciding.

cheaterparts

Postby cheaterparts Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:45 pm

As both of other kayakers have pointed out the Vic Kayak Forum is worth a look and more so read the safety section -- there's more to kayaking than just going fishing , staying safe on the water is a higher priority

depending on what type of fishing you are looking at makes quite a difference in the type of craft you will wont to look at

myself I'm not that keen on the hobie range as they don't really suit my fishing -

Both Choppers and myself use Ocean Kayaks Prowlers - Shane uses a Hobie PA but with many Fishane Mods to make it work better

wagyu04

Postby wagyu04 Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:24 am

Thanks guys, went into that forum just as a guest at the moment, but it's been so helpful. Yeah I'm looking at the the rivers down my way and the shallows of western port. Looking forward to taking a few models for a test drive.

Return to “Boat and Bits Wanted”