Anything Plastics

Moderator: mrfisho

snappa_attacka
Fisho
Fisho

Plastics, how many use them?

Postby snappa_attacka Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:58 am

Hi all,
Just a query on how many anglers are using SP's in and around Western Port?
And what is being used?
Me I always wet a bait, then I take out my baitcaster or other rods and off I go casting & twiching like a mad man. My biated rod might go off, but I am too busy having fun with my plastics to notice until someone yells out to me. But most of my SP's have been done in PPB, and I am looking forward to getting into some decent fish in WP.
Many had much success with SP's in WP?
I have been lucky that i have stuck it out with the SP's as at first you don't think your getting anywere, but the question has to be asked are there fish were your casting to. It might be unpopulated at that time.
Snapper on plastics aren't to hard, lots of others rave about how difficult it is to get them on plastics, but when their in a bit of a frenzy and the action is hot its the best time to use them as your covering alot more ground by continually casting and retrieving. One trip I pulled 3 snapper in the space of 3 -5 minutes in while my mate has mucked around with one on a pilchard for that long.
Ohh well rattled on enough for now but I would love to hear from others that are using plastics and what your using.
Me I use Power Baits, Strike Kings and some other large fat grubs that I bring in from the USA.
Regards
boyo

linchpin75
GunFisho
GunFisho

Postby linchpin75 Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:31 am

Boyo

I was going to try for pinkies on SP in WP. It will probably be around Christmas as that when I've found them to be the thickest.

Probably try the berkley's

What rig were you going to try? Myself I was leaning towards possibly a paternoster rig because of the current and hopefully the current wiggles them around a bit more

snappa_attacka
Fisho
Fisho

Imparting action

Postby snappa_attacka Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:20 pm

Hi Linchpin and others,
Paternoster rigs are probably not the ideal rig for using sp's with. As you know sp's need actions to get the fish's attention and the scents if any are used are just icing on the cake.
A Paternoster rig is basically a set and forget until they strike rig, where when using sp's its alot more trying to target them. Somedays I have put in over 1000 + casts. And I love doing it.
Don't get me wrong, when there on a Paternoster rig will catch you a few but a single trace down to the sp is normally the way to go.
You can impart any type of action that you might want to try be it whipping, ripping and pausing which is the same but whipping is the USA term, slow steady retrieves or fast jerky retrieves to try imparting different actions to get the fish to take the bait.
Whipping to me works best on flatties or other hiding predatory fish that just pounce out of nowhere and attack what ever is in there area. I have found that the slow steady retrieve with the occoasional pause seems to me to work best on bream and pinkies.
It is important to match the style/shape of the plastic to the retrieve. How fast or slow do some of these baitfish, grubs or even worms swim? Sp worms work well on Paternoster rigs as they just flap about in the fishes face. Then you have to try the type of retrieve that is mated to the fish's behaviour pattern, which is in turn often related to the time of year / season and the water temperature level. How often have we seen fish on our fishfinders hanging around but not taking a bait that is given to them? They are shut down for a reason, normally the water is too cold for them to be bothered to eat and or sometimes even move. But if we present a different type of sp, be it a grub, shad, worm or other and produce an action that gets the fish to resond the way we want it to and that is to feed or attack whats in its turf.
Man I could go on all day about SP's, I love them so much.
It has given me a new lease of life on fishing as just baiting up and waiting was starting to get really boring.
I advise everyone to give it a go while your baits are soaking, its so much fun. Your Sp's get hit when there first sinking, when they hit the bottom, when your twitching them or ripping them up. Its all action & involvment while your waiting for the soaking baits to come good.
regards
Nick

linchpin75
GunFisho
GunFisho

Postby linchpin75 Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:49 am

I was thinking more along the lines of how to get the plastics to the bottom strike area in fast flowing WP water?

snappa_attacka
Fisho
Fisho

Fast flowing water....

Postby snappa_attacka Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:03 am

Yeah I understand where your coming from. Strong Currents, fast moving waters and you want to get the sp down there.
And like you said earlier that you could use a partenoster rig for it and just let them flap around, just like a bit of bait. Sure they can be used like that and I use that method sometimes.
But you have to remember that these Sp's have been developed to be used with actions. Lots of work has been put into how they drop into the water and how they hang there, what action they are applying when they are being jerked and finesed around.
Its not a race to get them to the bottom the fastest, its how & what action they get there is what the makers are working on trying to develop. Are they imitating a fleeing bait fish, or a wounded bait fish, or a prawn or worm. Thats what the makers of the Sp's are trying to develop.
They need some action applied to them. A paternoster rig will get them to the bottom and if they are in a frenzy you will get a few hits, mainly from flatties though. Thats just my experiance with using them like that. If it takes the sp's a couple of minutes to get to the bottom all the better. We are trying to keep them in the strike zone of most fish, not just the bottom dewlers.
If the current is an issue, use a heavier jig head. Personally I use jig heads from 1/32 to 1oz. That might not seem alot but 1 oz is one heavy jig head, you wouldn't find many others using that heavy a lead.
Fish don't see a prawn or other baitfish just sitting on the bottom in a strong current like we can get in WP, they are darting here and there.
Thats what we are trying to acheive when using the Sp's.
When snapper fishing how much lead are you using? Do you use a paternoster for all your snapper fishing too? Or do you use a sliding sinker down to a mono trace with a couple of hooks?
Horses for courses and I could go on all day about the pro's and con's of the sp's.
regards
Snappa Attacker

linchpin75
GunFisho
GunFisho

Postby linchpin75 Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:29 am

Thanks for your input Nick

I had thought of heavier heads etc
WP plastics are something no-one really talks about
Will experiment a little when the opportunity arises
and I know that the fish are there

cheers Adam

mrfisho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mrfisho Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:58 pm

Adam you must remember Nick is a PPB nut. I am converting him over to real fishing WP style. I am guessing he hasn't really confronted the roar of the WP tide with his plastics. Wait till he tries one of his red creatures in WP and realises they have shot straight to the top of the water from the current.
I will stick with my way of fishing WP for now. SP don't really interest me that much. I go fishing to relax not work my arm off casting all day :)
cheers :)
Mick

snappa_attacka
Fisho
Fisho

Mr Fisho......Just you wait.....

Postby snappa_attacka Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:43 am

Mr Fisho is right, I am a PPB nut and he is trying to convert me over to WP, but I have to say that the fish respond the same way all over the world. What makes WP so different? Nothing except some strong currents, and I have never fished with such a lazy fisho as Mr Fisho, man what a set and forget attitude. You should be ashamed of yourself big fella, coming into my turf and not listening to me. :oops:
When I come over into WP, my soft plastics and I will be doing alot of damage to your poor fish there. Thats because they havent seen soft plastics before worked properly!!! :o
Bring them on I say, to you Miss Fisho poo eee. You messed with the wrong man here. Thats why the name Snapper Attacker, I don't just sit back and wait until I trip over them ( unlike some). Constantly trying to hunt them down and entice the buggers into some action. Miss Fisho (Mick) did you read that. Action Action Action. Not just your style of cast and pray. :lol:
Good on you Aaron, keep them there, when you hit a hot spot pounce on them, its much more fun, than fishing with Mr Fisho, I kept having to nudge him to keep him awake, he was missing bites left right and centre.
Catch you soon big fella
Nicko

ecofreak

Postby ecofreak Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:45 am

You could use a rig that is similar to patternoster rig, has anybody here tried dropshoting. It is a simple and effective way to keep you SP on the bottom, dropshot sinkers are a crimpon typ of sinker that can be adjusted up and down the line to put you SP where ever you like in the water colomn with out it floating to the surface.

Return to “Plastics”