Snapper at Rickets

Anything Plastics

Moderator: mrfisho

mrfisho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Snapper at Rickets

Postby mrfisho Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:15 am

Heard a good report on how to get them legal sized pinkies from Rickets Point.
1: Berkleys 3 inch Pearl Blue Minnow with a 1/8 oz Jig Head
Best time is early morning on a cloudy day. Soon as the sun comes out they go away.
Cheers Mick :)

linchpin75
GunFisho
GunFisho

Postby linchpin75 Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:05 am

Thanks Mick

I have some berkley plastics but are yet to try them

Perhaps next Friday

ecofreak

Postby ecofreak Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:37 pm

Guys I hope this will help. 3" power minnows in almost any color will catch you pinkies at ricketts point through to black rock, but most of the fish you catch will be very juvinile. If you want to catch some bigger or more legal sized fish try 4" gulp minnows in Pumkinseed or smelt and 5" Jerkshads in Pink shinner and saphire shine. You will find that the more time you plastic is in the water the more fish you should land. The problem with smaller plastics is that smaller fish can eat them too easy and you will find that you will struggle to catch fish over 27cms.

The other thing I do here is use a bigger jighead, 3/8 or 3/16oz with 3/0 or 2/0 hooks, you will still get the same number of hits as you would if you were using smaller but you will reduce your hookup rate on small fish and gennerally the fish that can get a 5" Jerkshad in his mouth with a Gamakatsu 3/0 Darter 3/8oz will be a little bigger. You will still catch small fish but less often and will leave the plastic in the water long enogh to get nailed by a bigger less aggresive feeding fish. Small pinkies travel in packs and are very aggro little fish.

More important than that is drift, you will get more fish on the drift than you would at anchor as you are covering more water. No point throwing the same plastic at the same fish. If he did not want it the first time round why would he want it the second time around. Make sure your plastic is sinking all the way to the bottom as thats normally where the fish are and finaly if you are drifting in a north direction then cast to the north and bring the plastic back to the boat rather than letting it drag. You want to present you plastics to virgin fish or those who have not been spooked by you boat shadow drifting over them. But then again My daughter has learned how to use plastics by draging a gulp around black rock in a rod holder and she caught fish without doing anything :roll:

Hope this has helped

Iceman40

Postby Iceman40 Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:33 pm

Hey you got some nice fish but most of the fish i have gotten so far on plastics have been caught on gulp Fry and Turtle Back Worms all caught in shallow water. Have you had the same experience this season?

ecofreak

Postby ecofreak Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:36 pm

Hey you got some nice fish but most of the fish i have gotten so far on plastics have been caught on gulp Fry and Turtle Back Worms all caught in shallow water. Have you had the same experience this season?
No Pete my regular stuff has been working just fine so I have not had to go looking for new tricks at this stage, although I can see when fishing on the pod worm grounds how the turtlebacks would work in Watermelon or pumkinseed, as would the fry's in the same colors.

storyteller

Postby storyteller Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:10 pm

Has anyone been getting the big reds on plastics? I hooked 3 last year and only landed one but they would have heard how excited I was in Bourke st.

I didn't fish a lot last year, but as when fishing with bait rough weather was best.

This year I have a combination of paddle tails and minnows ready to give it a go.

As for the pinkies in close, eco freak don't you get a lot of snags fishing with the heavy jigs? I fish a lot in close on the pinkies and rarley use anything bigger than 1/8 prefferring to go as small as I can. I'm only in about 10-14 ft of water and don't want the plastic to plummet. I will try some bigger plastics though, thanks for the tip.

ecofreak

Postby ecofreak Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:06 pm

Agreed if I am fishing in close I will normally only use 1/4 or 1/6oz jigheads, I do get snagged a fair bit when fishing bigger and heavier, but hey thats fishing. :lol:

Return to “Plastics”