Online Shopping MRFISHO

Cooking kingfish

Show you favorite catch cooked !

Moderator: mrfisho

Parkesy

Cooking kingfish

Postby Parkesy Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:26 am

Hey guys, just wondering how you cook your kingfish? I've frozen some fillets that I've been defrosting in the fridge for sashimi which is great, but the other fillets I've been cooking don't seem to cook through like other white fish like flatties and whiting. They come out still pretty pink and raw in the middle like Atlantic salmon. Is that how they should be eaten? The other night to cook it right through they were in a hot pan for around 20 minutes maybe more which seems too long for fish? Is low and slow the go for kings?

blacklab

Re: Cooking kingfish

Postby blacklab Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:24 pm

hi parksey,
two ways I ever cooked kingie, first, I would fillet and cut into small medallions. prepare a bowl with as much lemon juice as you have lemons, add salts, a tad of garlic or what ever flavouring you want, chuck the medalions in the bowl and in the fridge overnite. all that's needed after that, is a piping hot fry pan, chuck in the medalions, they will need less than a couple of minutes, as the lemon has almost cooked them soaking.
second way was to cut them into medalions as well, over here you can get duck fat, ( I know sounds strange, we would just use normal fat) do the bread crumb trick, can use an egg like snitzel, and with the fat on high and hot, chuck them in, the duck fat seals the fish straight away and of course the bread crumbs to the fish, shouldn't take to long at a real hot temp.
the problem is, kingfish, if cooked wrong or to long or not quick enough, can turn rubbery ! it dries out very very quickly. ive had frozen kingfish once, never again, its one of those fish I believe you have to eat it fresh. did try smoking them once, but need a big commercial smoker, my little one didn't seem to work.
so basically, deep frying it, seals it and doesnt let it dry out. the lemon juice in the other method cooks it while it soaks.
just play around with what is good for your taste buds, but that's how we cooked them...

hope that helps
colin

mav6921

Postby mav6921 Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:49 am

Im off to New Zealand tomorrow Parkesy, let you know how the locals do them......my uncle usually smokes them but as blacklab said he uses a commercial smoker, maybe try baking the fillets in the oven?

Jamie_fisho

Postby Jamie_fisho Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:25 am

Mav I told you it's gunna be a cyclone over there right in the bay of Islands

mav6921

Postby mav6921 Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:50 pm

Mav I told you it's gunna be a cyclone over there right in the bay of Islands
The only cyclone over there will be the one from the line peeling off my Stella, It ok mate maybe next year if you finish ironing your boyfriends jocks early enough he will let you come with us

Parkesy

Postby Parkesy Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:18 am

Thanks Colin :)
I might try deep frying in panko. Got heaps of lemons on a tree out back so can cure them in that too. It's probably perfectly safe raw in the middle cos I'm doing some sashimi and have been fine, but it's the people you cook it for that have a censored!

Parkesy

Postby Parkesy Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:19 am

Oh, it censored my B word!

mav6921

Postby mav6921 Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:17 am

Hey guys, just wondering how you cook your kingfish? I've frozen some fillets that I've been defrosting in the fridge for sashimi which is great, but the other fillets I've been cooking don't seem to cook through like other white fish like flatties and whiting. They come out still pretty pink and raw in the middle like Atlantic salmon. Is that how they should be eaten? The other night to cook it right through they were in a hot pan for around 20 minutes maybe more which seems too long for fish? Is low and slow the go for kings?
Hey mate, just got back from nz, fresh is best.....they told me not to freeze it whatever I do, we got one smoked which they are really big on over there, haven't tried it yet but the smoked trout was awesome! other than that really thinly sliced sushimi as you mentioned or just pan fried or on the bbq.....we just cut up some fillets, salt, pepper and oil and cooked it on the bbq was amazing!

MBOGO

Postby MBOGO Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:32 am

that quality about the kings is why they are brilliant in a curry because if they are cut into cubes they can simmer in a curry a long time but each cube maintains it flavour and shape despite how ever strong the sauce is around them! :D

We used to buy our Kings from supermarket ( shame!) but in a red or green curry they are brilliant.

If you dont like em give em to me as the wifey will cookem up into a storm! :P

Parkesy

Postby Parkesy Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:30 pm

A fish curry sounds like a damn good idea :)
I've got a few left to play with so will give it a go this weekend.

Return to “Scoff and Skull Club”