Online Shopping MRFISHO

Why are we buying out the netters?

General Political Views and Discussions Relating to Fishing

Moderator: mrfisho

Rockboy

Re: Why are we buying out the netters?

Postby Rockboy Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:01 pm

I don't have an issue with netters being compensated for their licenses. It is their investment and business.

Last I read, the $ value of compensation would be determined by the average reported catch over the previous years. Seems fair to me....unless netters have had very bad catches the last few years.

Wish someone would pay me N times my yearly income to stop doing my day job.

frozenpod

Postby frozenpod Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:25 pm

I was out Friday evening from Tootgarook and not sure what exactly caused it, but there was tonnes of sea grass floating around everywhere. I could have netted a garbage bag worth drifting past the boat in no time. Can only assume it was netters.
Or natural causes, or rec fishos anchors....
I think we're still waiting for you to prove your recent statement that the footage I posted had been somehow debunked previously. I actually know the person who took that footage, as do several others here as you'll have seen. How about you start there rather than trying to ignore it and push your agenda further?

p.s those of us who fish regularly and spend a bit of time at the ramps, the floating weed is no coincidence.
Perhaps you should start by proving it was the netters rather than pushing your agenda.

Either way as already said nothing we do now will change anything. This has come about due for all the wrong reasons. Pollies buying votes and using funds collected by fishing licences to do it.

The science indicates the catch rate and methods are sustainable with minimal impact.

Yet rec fishos have become a lynch mob ignoring the science that we grasp when further restrictions are imposed on us....

Double standard and morally wrong.

We would be much better off spending 20 mill on new boat ramps with no ramp fees.

PS Plenty of floating weed in WPB.

Parkesy

Postby Parkesy Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:30 pm

I was out Friday evening from Tootgarook and not sure what exactly caused it, but there was tonnes of sea grass floating around everywhere. I could have netted a garbage bag worth drifting past the boat in no time. Can only assume it was netters.
Or natural causes, or rec fishos anchors....
If it was rec fishos anchors then we'd expect to see a sea of green over summer when thousands are fishing down south. Would have been lucky to have been 50 boats out those last few days.
And by natural causes I assume you mean bad weather? Have fished after much worse conditions than we had last week without seeing it. I just notice it every now and then.
I can't imagine what else it would be but netters. And if I had that much going past me in that one spot for 2 hours, imagine how much must get ripped up?

Dunworken

Postby Dunworken Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:09 am

For what its worth I've been watching a trawler for the over an hour netting near the turning buoy off Clifton Springs. Be interesting to see how it affects catches this week as there were some reds and silver whiting around for the last week or so out there?

FiveStar

Postby FiveStar Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:28 pm

For what its worth I've been watching a trawler for the over an hour netting near the turning buoy off Clifton Springs. Be interesting to see how it affects catches this week as there were some reds and silver whiting around for the last week or so out there?
One would only assume if they net the school that is hanging around there, the fishing would be effected adversely. I would also reckon that the netters are much better fisherman than we are and have perfected their craft.

mrfisho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mrfisho Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:39 pm

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

frozenpod

Postby frozenpod Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:59 pm

Official so there is no turning back now.

I am all for fairly compensating the commercial fishos but who is paying, funds collected from rec licences?

The buyback was originally 20 mil but has now been increased to 27 mil, who pays for the extra 7 mil.

Wavethumper

Postby Wavethumper Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:01 pm

Money comes from our taxes.

I pay a lot in tax and I am not happy to see the tax $$ go to the netters when there are so many other options available to avoid the payout.

Parkesy

Postby Parkesy Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:00 pm

That totals around $640,000 per licence. Aren't these licenses only worth $300,000? It's definetly buying them a good retirement. And with Dan running the show expect it to blow out even more!

Parkesy

Postby Parkesy Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:37 pm

And I don't understand the delay, why wait for so long? With that sort of money being offered I don't see how there needs to be such a long transition period. Surely a couple of years would be ample when It does sound like they will walk away with around 300K in their pockets. Maybe I'm missing something? Equipment couldn't be worth that much?

Return to “Political General”