Choppers

Re: Why are we buying out the netters?

Postby Choppers Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:02 pm

Great footage by rhino.
What a waste

luckyed

Postby luckyed Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:32 pm

The vision taken by rhino tells a very sad story and I have no doubt that it is authentic. We have all heard tales of waste by the netters but to see it visually is very confronting. Maybe it is not the netters fault and that it is some unfortunate happening.
Anyway Daniel has said that it was an election promise and that is that. So if we all want the Bay to be free of most netters why do we not let it happen. The Government is going to do it their way so lets support this very significant change as this is a lifetime event.

frozenpod

Postby frozenpod Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:38 pm

You posted that video years ago and it was debunked then.

Unless new evidence has come to light there is no proof that was caused by netters.

cheaterparts

Postby cheaterparts Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:50 pm

You posted that video years ago and it was debunked then.

Unless new evidence has come to light there is no proof that was caused by netters.
yes this was an old vid but I haven't ever seen evidence of it ever being debunked at the time or since , Darren ( Rhino ) follower the netters and this was the aftermath

below is a quote posted in a thread from oct 2012 on vyak

They've hit Altona three times in the last week and a half.

Without wanting to hijack this thread, here is a vid I did nearly 3 years ago now and shows the results at the end of a netting session.
The black speck you see on the horizon at the start is the netters slowing moving away as I approach. I knew who they were and I moved in to see what all the bird activity was.

Watch to see what I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJwalS-V-no

Buddha

Postby Buddha Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:46 pm

Not trying to start an argument but if this was happening every trip from every netter then there would be thousands of videos of the aftermath like this and it would've been very well publicised I would imagine.
Don't get me wrong we all know this happens, but it definitely doesn't happen every trip and definitely not every boat. I'd be pretty willing to suggest that its probably a rare occasion.
Its not good that's not in question and nobody wants to see it happening but we all know even with the best of intentions sometimes fish die.
Because of what occasionally happens and probably only with a small number of boats you can't blame an entire industry. It is no less crazy than seeing someone driving like an idiot and saying well all drivers are idiots.
When this happens the pros don't just not care. They don't want it happening either for the most part because it will impact on future catches in future seasons.
How many of you guys that are blaming this on recklessness of pros fish for snapper and practice catch and release?
Be it once you've got your bag or just for fun?
Curious to know?

BORN TO FISH FORCED TO WORK
qnmup

Postby qnmup Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:31 am

What about all the sea grass and seabeds they destroy that the fish use for breeding. I have no problem with long lining as the fish can be selected and released without with no harm to the floor or fish. When u go on a hot whiting session and they r everywhere then the next day u send a friend there only to find weed floating everywhere and not a fish in sight that's a joke. Go fish outside the heads. That's my opinion anyway

big cods

Postby big cods Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:20 am

At the end of the day netting will come to an end whether you disagree or not, but the netters definitely deserve to be compensated for the loss of their livliehood and lifestyle, I think most would agree on that. Personally I do sympathise with the licence holders and their familys.

Parkesy

Postby Parkesy Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:24 pm

I've never fished passed my bag. If I've got 3 snapper over 40cm in the boat my session is done. I was out Friday evening from Tootgarook and not sure what exactly caused it, but there was tonnes of sea grass floating around everywhere. I could have netted a garbage bag worth drifting past the boat in no time. Can only assume it was netters.

frozenpod

Postby frozenpod Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:24 pm

I was out Friday evening from Tootgarook and not sure what exactly caused it, but there was tonnes of sea grass floating around everywhere. I could have netted a garbage bag worth drifting past the boat in no time. Can only assume it was netters.
Or natural causes, or rec fishos anchors....

Return to “Political General”