Online Shopping MRFISHO

Vic Recreational Boating reg's..and a magic wand.

General Political Views and Discussions Relating to Fishing

Moderator: mrfisho

PoddyMullet

Vic Recreational Boating reg's..and a magic wand.

Postby PoddyMullet Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:49 pm

What would ya tweak, delete or introduce to the Vic Recreational Boating Reg's if ya had a magic wand? :?:

For mine I'd introduce mandatory flags of a specified colour, size and display height for fishing kayaks (i.e. for yaks over a specified width...or the ones that aren't designed to eskimo roll). ;)

mrfisho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Vic Recreational Boating reg's..and a magic wand.

Postby mrfisho Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:29 am

Nice question Poddy ... Though I doubt adding any new one's would make many boaters follow them hard enough to get them to follow the rules now .. Maybe increase the fine for NOT running lights at night would be my tweak .. Annoys me to no end when I nearly run some idiot over or have to hit the brakes hard to avoid a collision ..

Cheers
Mick

paulig

Postby paulig Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:29 am

A driving test which should include reversing the trailer down the ramp, launch and retrieve either drive on/off or rope it, driving up to a pontoon and tying the boat, also how to drive the boat through swells

blacklab

Postby blacklab Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:59 am

paulig,
you've hit it on the head there !
with any other powered vehicle licence testing, there's always a practical assessment involved !
any geek, and I say that literally, can sit in a room and pass the licencing test format as it presently stands.
then out they go and buy a boat !
I agree with the written format of licence testing but THEN
everyone should be practically assessed, at a boat ramp, on the water as a standard pre-requisite to gain full licence status.
the benefits of this would eventually shine thru, there would be a percentage that would simply not be given a licence or told to go
away and come back when you've improved your skill sets, ie backing a trailer down the ramp, correct and safe mooring etc etc
now this would be up to them then to find someone to learn with, or some smart fella could see a pretty good commercial opportunity
in setting up as a boat handling instructor !!
the amount that would effectively fail the practical test would probably be quite suprising.
it would also include boat handling etc etc etc
then introduce a point system to a boat licence, so when you do eventually get one, it can be removed from you for some of the stupid things
we see out there everyday on the water.
probably a hard thing to set up and police, but can you imagine just sitting a written test then be given a car licence !!!
just my thoughts
colin

Tod11

Postby Tod11 Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:23 am

I wholeheartedly agree with both paulig and Col on this one. There should be mandatory training courses that include boat handling and navigation on the water.

I did a 2 day course years ago when I got my first boat with the then new to Victoria Australian Boating College. It was both fun and educational,best thing I ever did cause I can honestly say that before the course I was pretty clueless when it came to boating. I wasn't instantly transformed into a competent boatie (there's no substitute for experience) but I had an idea of the laws and was armed with some knowledge that would keep both myself and others on the water safe enough until I gained the necessary experience.

Pete

I've spent half my life fishing... the rest I've wasted.

Return to “Political General”