Online Shopping MRFISHO

Help - Anchoring issues.

Got some great boating tips .. Maybe an easier way to help save those bearing's .. General Boating idea's.

Moderator: mrfisho

snapper jack

Re: Help - Anchoring issues.

Postby snapper jack Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:25 pm

I had this issue when fishing deep on the mud i now use 8mm 8 metre chain and i bent 1 inch down from the tip back about an inch that way it really digs in . Never had a issue since. :mrgreen:

AlphaPrime

Postby AlphaPrime Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:38 am

It sounds like you need more chain. i'd say 10-12m. Your boat bobbing up and down in the swell or waves would be ripping the anchor up. Because you're using the braid, It doesn't stretch. so every lift of the front of the boat transfers straight back to the anchor.

Think of it like fishing with braid. you have a snapper snatcher straight up on down over the side of the boat. if the rod is pretty stiff and the boat is bobbing up and down the snatcher will be getting ripped up and down just as much as the boat moves.

Fishing with mono and a softer rod the same way, when the boat bobs up and down the rod doubles over and there is stretch in the mono so the sinker stays on the floor.

skronkman

Postby skronkman Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:22 pm

I have a sarca no 2 and 6 meters of short link chain onto braided rope. I have a 545 ocean series and usually let out about 3 X the depth I'm in (eg 10 meters deep = 30 meters of rope/chain). Last trip I dragged a little when the wind and tide got up in the same direction, I let out another 10 meters of rope and no problems after that. More length for the depth would be my best guess as to your answer. Possibly adding more length of chain may also help but as I said, I only have 6 meters. On a yacht I was on for a while the skipper would sometimes add a house brick size chunk of steel welded to a caribener on to the anchor chain a few meters back from the anchor to help in strong winds. Have to remember to remove it on the retrieval before it gets up to the bowsprit though!

sparkymizzo

Postby sparkymizzo Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:12 am

I had a No2 on 5.1m aluminum boat and i didn't get grip on windy days as well . i now use a different anchor but i assume you should have a No3, i always try to go over recommendations

fish are where you find them
oreely

Postby oreely Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:21 am

what depth of water are you fishing and how much rope is put out?? if fishing in 20 metres with strong tide or wind you only have the bare minimum. I have a 610 crusher and manage to fit 100metres of 6mm double braid 5 metres of of 10mm silver rope and 8 metres of 6mm short link chain on a stressfree winch (not free fall) I have the rope marked every 10 metres and if i was fishing in 20 metres ond 15 - 20 knots I would put out the chain plus 3.5 - 4 times the depth in rope (70 -80 metres) if still not holding you need to let out more rope.
check out this link i found when googled anchoring basics there are many more like this

https://ephemerisle.github.io/anchoring.html

grovzy81

Postby grovzy81 Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:17 pm

Cheers Guys, Appreciate the feedback. Ill try a few of the alternatives that people have suggested and see how i go. Seems the general consensus is to increase my chain size and length. Ill try that first and if it doesn't work try some different size D shackles to ensure she is setting right. According to SARCA themselves these anchors are supposed to be fail-proof and set correctly every time, but who knows.

Return to “Boating Tips”