Online Shopping MRFISHO

Reading weather forecasts

Got some great boating tips .. Maybe an easier way to help save those bearing's .. General Boating idea's.

Moderator: mrfisho

Sergio

Reading weather forecasts

Postby Sergio Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:30 am

Hi everyone,

as I plan to embark on my first trip to Portland this year (on my boat, been on charters down there), I wanted some advice please on how to read the weather foreacasts. I have no issues when it comes to the bay but wanted to get some tips on the offshore forecasts. I am looking at the following website:

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/cape ... ewater_bay

Some questions. 1) Is this a reputable site. 2) Does wind direction play a big part when say 40-50k's offshore and if so, is a northerly best. 3) what would a perfect day look like in terms of wind direction, gust, height and wave period? Appreciate the latter is subjective but again, being my first time this year (albeit with an experienced decky on my boat) I want good conditions and am therefore not planning on going on a specific date - Im just going to drop everything and go when the weather is good.

Also, if anyone is open to going together on separate boats please PM me. No guarantees of course but am happy to go in a convoy if it works on the day.

thanks

mrfisho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Reading weather forecasts

Postby mrfisho Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:06 pm

Sergio I look at many sites and then leave it till 4.30 of the day I am leaving to make the final choice because as we know they change their mind worse than a W does :) .. I look at willyweather / seabreeze / windfinder if I am unsure then I keep looking at other weather sites .. I look for of course the least winds from any direction other than Eastly and the longer the time between swells the better .

Cheers
Mick

Sergio

Postby Sergio Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:24 am

Thansk Mick, appreciate the advice...

pilko

Postby pilko Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:52 pm

I'm from down that way, I go out on a northerly but want it reliable. Terrible trip home if it gets up. Season up to 3m ish is my cut off, and wind wise anything over 15knots I'm normally looking for home. I normally like to head out with another boat. Feel a lot more confident when it's ordinary. Be careful near Lawrence rock. I still go around and don't cut through there and the point. Very dangerous in any sort of sea if you don't know the path. Don't discount port fairy either. Cheers ash

Return to “Boating Tips”